Saturday, September 20, 2014

80's moment

Hello there.

I really didn't mean to be gone this long, but life got in the way. School started and my classroom was switched to a modular classroom. However the modular was condemned before we could even get in to set it up, then we had to wait while the powers that be tried to fix it, then it was uncondemned, then the kids were there and we had no classroom and on and on and on....I am just now coming up for air and finally getting a handle on this school year.

I have been working out regularly for a very long time now. 5 days a week, 30 minutes a day in a gym and 10,000 steps a day in the real world. My trusty little mp3 player that I have used since the start of my fitness regime finally kicked the bucket. Suddenly I was sans music in the land of sweat and headphones. Apparently most people in the world have now started to use their smart phones to play music (as the man at the electronics store told me in a very snotty voice when I went to try to replace my mp3 player). However, I do not have a smart phone. I am already a computer addict, giving me online access 24 hours a day would be a very bad idea. You should have seen the salesman's face when I said that!

Anywho, Hubby tries really hard to support my working out and he seemed slightly offended that I would even consider working out without music. It seems one works out harder when a soundtrack is involved. So he gave up his mp3 player (because he has not one but two smart phones) and loaded it with some of my old music and some new music that he thought I would like. Thought being the operative word.

I have a very folksy, indie taste in music. I love Delta Rae and the Wailing Jenny's and anything with guitar. Imagine my surprise when suddenly "I Will Survive" a la Cake came on. Really don't like Cake. Then there was some Trisha Yearwood (whom I may one day stalk), so yay. Just as I was about to start working my triceps, Open Arms by Journey came on. A wave of melancholy hit me like a medicine ball to my stomach.

When Open Arms came out, I was 11 years old. By the time I was old enough to go to school dances, it was THE song to share with that special boy. Only I was gawky and awkward and I wore a back brace. Heck, I could have been a John Hughes character. No one ever wanted to dance with me. By the time I finally started becoming someone boys could see as attractive, Open Arms had become passe. So I have never slow danced to that song. Ever....I truly missed one of the landmark experiences of a child of the 80's.

Isn't it funny how we live our lives, grow up and let things go? Truly there are not a lot of things in my life that I regret, but when I heard that song and I came to that realization, I was really sad. I could not have changed my circumstances when I was in middle school. The back brace was beyond my control and middle school boys will not change, so it's not like I could have done anything TO make it happen.

But this year I will be married 20 years. I told Hubby that all I wanted for my anniversary was to take me somewhere, IN PUBLIC, and dance with me to Open Arms. Maybe it will help me make 11 year old me just a little less geeky.

But probably not.

No comments: