Friday, April 4, 2014

Talk to the Hand

As some of you may or may not remember, Hubby does not seem to possess the chemical needed to prevent him from moving or acting out his dreams while he is sleeping. Over the years I have learned to discern his moods prior to going to bed and usually I can tell when he is going to have an active night. On those nights I literally sleep with one eye open. This potentially saved my life several years ago when Hubby rolled over in his sleep and attempted to slam an unseen knife directly into my chest. He has no recollection of it and swears he wasn't dreaming of killing me, but you get the picture.

Last night was a night like most nights and I felt comfortable going to sleep next to the man I love. I had only been asleep about 90 minutes when I felt my husband's arm propped up against my side. He is a snuggler, so that didn't concern me, but then I felt something hovering near my face. I instantly woke up completely and prepared myself for whatever physical onslaught he was about to dish out. Only what happened took me completely by surprise.

There was my husband's hand, being held as if he was working a sock puppet, and, in a dead sleep, he was saying, "Happy hand, happy, happy , happy hand." I honestly thought he was awake and playing a joke on me. I popped up and said, "What the hell are you doing?" He never answered, rolled over and was quiet the rest of the night.

The next morning I asked him why he did that and he has absolutely no memory of it. The only thing I can figure is he was dreaming he was putting on a puppet show. But I sure would like to know who or what Happy Hand is. Or....maybe not.

No comments: