Sunday, April 6, 2014

Summer To-Do List

I have been seriously thinking about what is going to happen this summer when I am on summer break. As I have established, not having a job to go to every day is a bit daunting to me as it allows my seeming agorophobia to surface and I nest in a not so healthy way. Since summer is just 8 weeks away, I have decided to make a to-do list. Think of it is as things to keep me occupied and protect me from myself.

I am, of course, going to continue to work out, attempt to grow my own food (although I am a huge failure as a gardener) and take E surfing as much as possible, since it no longer causes extreme pain to walk to the beach and sit in the sun. So the givens are not going to be included on this list. And I do have a small, two-week summer job teaching an arts camp lined up. Aside from that and a week in the mountains, the field is wide open.

So here it is, my honey-do list to myself:

First and foremost I am FINALLY going to learn to play my guitar. Seriously. I mean it this time. I am going to be able to play at least 5 songs before August 30th.

I am going to learn to fish from the pier. I have a church member who has the equipment and is willing to teach me. I feel as if I have gotten very far away from my primal humanity (is that redundant?) and would like to have this skill. I am a little queasy about gutting and skinning a fish, but I used to do it when I was a kid, so I am sure I can do it again.

Going along with the primal humanity theme, I am going to learn how to make a fire the cave man way. I know it sounds silly, but I just think it is an important tool to have in your survival skill tool belt. And NO, I am not a survivalist, I just feel the need to be a little more knowledgeable about how things work and what to do if, God forbid, the bridge to my island collapsed and we lost power. It wasn't widely reported, but we even had a tsunami hit our island this summer and that scared me. It was so little it took 4 months for the powers to be to officially say it happened, but still. The Outer Banks bridge got closed down for several weeks this fall and it was pretty scary to us other Islanders. Things happen on barrier islands.

I am going to make and can Red Hot pickles. One of our church members is going to teach me how to can, and the local little organic produce place has said they would like to try them. I love me some cinnamon pickles. Now, if I can just learn how to actually grow things (like cucumbers) to a full-size. Last year all my vegetables were little miniature versions of their true selves.

I am going to make homemade ice cream. Again, I need to borrow an ice cream maker from a church member, but since I eat so little sugar now, when I do eat it, I want it to be worth it.

I am teaching E how to cook and bake. That is a given. But I am also going to create a sourdough starter and use that to make my bread this summer. No more Wonder Bread for this family.

Lastly, I am going to be on turtle watch again this summer. Last summer I got to sit at the head of a nest as it boiled and watch 98 little babies break through the sand. A few weeks later I was called in on a sudden boil and got to be the turtle counter and I am actually now trusted and ALLOWED to handle the turtles. That was a huge thing, if I were more religious I would actually call it a blessing. But that is going to forever more be on my summer list. I am even thinking of getting a sea turtle tattoo on my inner wrist.

So that is it so far. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. I need 8 weeks worth of things to keep me busy.

1 comment:

floridagirl said...

SO happy to see your blog again!! I have truly missed it. Very happy to see your positive changes. I had to let go of the diet soda several years ago myself~ it is truly amazing how poisonous that stuff is!
I almost immediately lost 10 lbs.
Skin cleared up , too. Anyway, glad you are back!!!