Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Like a Man-Bra, but Bigger

Okay...Hubby has pleurisy AGAIN!!  But he will be fine. 

Now...on to the subject. 

I have been exercising very hard now for 7 long months.  I have spent 8-9 hours a week at the Y doing cardio everyday and weight machines three days a week.  I had lost 10 pounds.  But the holidays hit and I gained 4 back.  Four I could handle, even forgive myself for, but last week hit and I gained the ALL THE REST BACK.  I swear, I didn't eat more or cheat on my diet.  I have even cooked from scratch all but one meal in the last two weeks.  I have decided that stress makes me pack on pounds, whatever my diet.  I have had several people make that comment here, but I don't understand how it can add pounds when I am not adding calories.  But I have to admit my stress level has been so high this week that I have almost ended up in tears several times.  And the weight just piled itself on so there's got to be something to that.

So, I have decided to redouble my efforts and make a change in my workout.  It was time for me to change the weight routine anyway, so I lowered the weights and am doing fast reps to complete muscle failure.  I'm not talking 15 or 20 reps, I'm talking 45-50 reps.  It must have worked because I am one sore puppy.  Trust me, it hurts just to type this post.  But the other thing I implemented today (and it was one of the hardest things I have done in a long time)... I started running on the treadmill.

Now first, remember, I hate sweating.  I loathe that tickling, dripping feeling of sweat running down your back.  I hate clothes sticking to me and my hair getting frizzy.  I....hate...sweat.  But I hate running more.  I hate running because I still have some chest pain from time to time after my lovely medical drama last year and I am slightly afraid of it.  When I started running today I had such a tightness in my chest that I was about to call for the defibrillator myself.  But I kept telling myself that it was just anxiety and I worked through it.

But the real reason I hate running is because I have a big old BUTT.  I have a big old butt and chunky thighs.  When I run I feel all that weight bobbing up and down.  It's like the Anti-Baywatch, where their boobs just sway back and forth when they run.  My butt lobs itself three feet in the air and anybody who dares to get in its flight pattern better be wearing full body armor.  It's embarassing and a little painful.  I feel like I need a butt-bra just to contain the thing.  But alas, that would just be biker shorts and I am definitely not putting my ass on that kind of display.

But today on the treadmill I would walk for 8 minutes and then run for 2 minutes.  I know, 2 minutes is not a a lot, but it was the most I could do at one time and I ended up doing it 4 times.  I have to start somewhere.  Maybe when my butt reaches a manageable size I will be able to run a mile, but until then, if you see me at the Y, be prepared to duck!

7 comments:

Kelli said...

I feel your pain. I also have a big tushy and hate the feel of the "butt jump" when I exercise. But good for you for running even though you hate it. I am getting treadmill next week and hope to be running (and butt jiggling) soon.

Jenny said...

I know that it can be rough, because I went through that too when I was going to the gym the first time. You just have to push through it, cardio is vital to weight loss.

Good luck! You can do it, I know!

catherine said...

I glad your hubby is ok, more or less, I was worried he was having heart trouble.
I have a big butt too. I am 150 lbs over weight, most of it gained in the last 4 years due to the huge freaking stressload i have, It does change your metabolism. Try wearing regular baggy shorts or trackpants over bike shorts to stop the jiggle, or if your Y has a pool, checkout the water aerobics classes. They are great! you don't sweat, less stress on your joints, you can work out a lot longer because you don't overheat. Most of the others have to use a pool noodle but me and my big butt wear a weighted dive belt because I am so boyant, I can't get a decent workout without it. I just bob on the surface lol. At least I never have to worry about drowning.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you try Couch25k? I am in the same boat as you too, can't run for long periods. I think it's meant for people like us.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Anonymous said...

I'd like to suggest that you consider an alternative to the "conventional wisdom" you've been following to lose weight and regain health. Gary Taubes new book, Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It, is great at explaining why the "calories in/calories out" and "eating fat makes you fat" mantras are wrong. I have also found Mark Sisson's book, The Primal Blueprint, to be very helpful.

Anonymous said...

Compression tights are amazing for stopping that giggling feeling that you get when you have junk in the trunk and are trying to run. They are expensive, but totally worth it. Just wear some mesh gym shorts over them if you feel the need to cover up. :)

Bubblewench said...

Good job! You can keep that up! I know it's tough, I've been working on it for years now... but you WILL lose that add on. Glad everyone is ok.

Oh and I am majorly anti-sweat too. I HATE to sweat!!