Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Deep breath-es -es -es

My goal for 2011 was to have a drama-free year.  Knowing I cannot control those around me, I decided that I would not participate in any drama being thrown at me by other people.  I would not engage rumors, battle lies or try to be someone I am not by "being involved" in the trivial goings-on of CountryTime.  Little did I know that the potentially biggest drama of my life is about to unfold and it is coming at me from E.

I took E to the doctor today for her well-child appointment.  The doctor was 40 minutes late because he had to rush to the hospital to see one of his patients.  In fact, while he was examining E he had to leave the room to answer a call from the hospital.  He was frazzled, to say the least.  He mentioned that E was a little underweight for her height.  She is still solidly in a healthy weight zone, but he was concerned because her height and weight growth were not quite proportional.  Then I asked him to look at her eczema which has made a reappearance.  All seemed okay, until he had her stand in front of him so he could check her thyroid.

He started the exam and a worried look appeared on his face, he poked and prodded her and was just about to say something when he got called out of the room by the hospital.  When he came back in he put her in position again and said he was trying to see if he was feeling a node on her thyroid.  He eventually determined that he did and he went in to high anxiety mode.  He issued an order for a blood test to check her levels, spouting terms like Grave's Disease and endocrinologist at me.  He went to talk the the nurse since E has a tendency to pass out with needles and they discovered that the last lab drop of the day had occurred and they could not take her blood there.  He then wanted me to take her to the hospital for the blood work right then, but my insurance company treats any hospital test, even one ordered by a doctor as a hospital visit and I end up paying 100's of dollars out of pocket.  I told them I would bring her back first thing in the morning and he said okay, but it has to be done tomorrow.

So now I am scared , but trying to be nonchalant for E's sake.  I Googled this, but now I really wish I hadn't.  Oh please, blog friends, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  And if any of you has had a child with a harmless node on his or her thyroid, please let me know.  She needs to be okay.  I need her to be okay.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Muddy, I am sending you good vibes. It sounds like the doctor was acting a little alarmist. You will find out soon enough if something is wrong or if everything is OK. Deep breath-es-es-es is right.

And big hugs to you and E if you want them.

/ dw

FreeDragon said...

Could it be your doc was thinking the worst since he was already frazzled and stressed? Whatever the blood tests show, seak a second opinion.

Paige said...

dont freak yet. Even if she does have Grave's disease, it is very easily controlled. I have thyroid problems, and it is super easy to get used to dealing with

it will be fine

AutumnRose said...

...sending prayers for E's good health, and keeping your family in my thoughts!

Jocelyn said...

Thinking of you and E today. Stay calm, take notes, think positive!

Charlitan said...

Goosh!

k said...

I have a daughter with a cleft lip and gum line that was a surprise to us and her doctor at birth. She has gone through two surgeries and is doing awesome.
Trust yourself, your guts and your doctor. If what the doctor says doesnt feel right, get a second opinion, be your own advocate and dont let the words of possibilities become realities in your mind.
She will be great and so with you. I am sending all the good healing ok-being thoughts i can muster....

RV Vagabonds said...

Sending much positive energy and good thoughts your way. I think I'd rather have a concerned doctor who is over-reacting than a doctor who overlooks something because he's frazzled and tired.

Just breathe.

Bubblewench said...

Oh crap. I really hope it all worked out fine.