Monday, October 18, 2010

Living in a Southern Gothic Novel

I really think I should change the name of my blog.  Things here are so strange that I feel like I am living in some sort of alternate universe most days.

Last night at the grocery store I ran into the "anonymous former church member" who called me a radical liberal.  She actually turned on her heels and pushed her cart away from me as fast as she could to avoid me.  I must have leftist cooties or something.

Then I ran into another church member who proceeded to go through the things in my buggy one by one, actually touching them and moving them to get a better view of everything I was buying.  I had snacks and drinks for our children's church group that meets today and she thought they were for me.  She said, "Aha, I knew you didn't only eat healthy stuff!"  It was almost an insult, like I wasn't allowed to be human and eat junk food once in a while.  The weirder thing was that I just let her go through my cart because it actually amused me and I knew it would give me blog fodder.  I just wish Hubby and I still used condoms and I had a great big pack of them AND some sort of "just for her" vaginal lubricant!

But the last thing is the saddest thing and makes me feel most like I am living in a novel.  The woman who stalks my theater partner, the 80+ woman who goes everywhere she knows he is going to be and just hovers in his personal space....well I found out that the reason she is the way she is is because when she was in her twenties she was violently and brutally raped.  It's the secret everyone knows but doesn't talk about.  But no one tries to help her either, its the great shame of the elite around here.  (Oh, did I mention she is a millionaire?)

I just keep shaking my head as this place gets weirder and weirder.

PS:  I have a few kids in my preschool class that have the strange body shape I told you about so I am going to try to take pictures to post (without faces, of course) so you'll believe I am not making this up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not quite enough info on the 80 year old woman. Could your partner that she is stalking be a possible child or grandchild from her brutal rape experience?

RV Vagabonds said...

Does your partner look like the 80 year old woman's abuser? What a sad situation for her, but considering this happened 60 years ago in the south it's not surprising that it was covered up and the woman was supposed to suck it up. That would make you nutso.

Good for you for reaching the point that rude behavior is now seen as blog fodder.