Friday, October 22, 2010

It's the Little Things

I have had a heck of a 2 weeks.  I have doubled my hours at the theater and also have taken on two more days a week at the preschool since another teacher's assistant quit.  I was in my new class for the past two days and getting to know a new batch of kids.

At dismissal today one little boy was left.  He has an older sister who gets dismissed a little later, so his mom picks him up with her.  While we were waiting he sat on my lap telling me all about his big brother who had gotten mad at him this morning, and how he believed there was a monster under his bed, how he was dressing up as Batman for Halloween and on and on he chattered.

His mom came in, saw him talking to me on my lap and her jaw dropped open.  Then she got tears in her eyes.  I became a little afraid thinking I had done something horribly wrong.   Maybe he wasn't supposed to be on my lap?  I looked up and asked her if she was okay.  She stuttered a little bit and said, "He doesn't talk."  Huh? "He doesn't say more than a word or two at a time."  Apparently he has sensory integration disorder (possibly more) and has never talked to anyone but his mom and dad, but there he was sitting on my lap and talking to me.

After being made to feel like such an ogre this past week over jazz pants and wedding faux pas' and church things, to have that one moment where a child chose to trust me and share with me just made the whole negative energy of this week just wash away.  For one short moment I was special in the eyes of a 2 year-old child.  Who could ask for anything more?

5 comments:

Paige said...

Isnt it interesting how something major happens just when you need it to?

RV Vagabonds said...

...through the eyes of a child.

http://www.zarcrom.com/users/alzheimers/poetry/br/br-04.html

Bubblewench said...

I think you're pretty special in anyone's eyes.

Joy said...

That was beautiful. I'm so glad that little boy found you. And you are amazing, so don't doubt yourself.

Sharon said...

I'm gonna delurk to say...

... that was lovely.