Thursday, September 9, 2010

Can I Just Say?

I met the coolest lesbian couple today (except Charlitan of course.)  One woman was a light-skinned African American and the other was a blonde soccer mom.  Together they had 5 children of all colors from ages 12 to 3.  ALL of the children were well-mannered, polite and obviously happy. I don't know if these children were adopted or biological, but all I could think was...if this couple could manage 5 children and still be good parents, they need to be the poster family for gay adoption.  Because you know what?  If I had 5 children I would be bald and in a fetal position in the corner.  I'm just meant to be a parent of 1.  Those of you with multiples, you're a better parent than I could ever be.  Seriously.

Another lesson learned today- a woman that I am friendly with who is from one of the founding families of CountryTime but not a member of our church approached me today to invite me out to lunch.  She wants to talk to me about some of the discussions she has been hearing from our church members about me.  I almost took the bait but now that I have had time to think, I am not going to have that chat.  I know what most of the church members think about me, why should I invite someone to heap more of the negative crap on me?  I'm sure she meant well and she knows how hard things have been here for me, but there are some things I just don't need to know.  Not feeding that wolf.

Lastly, I walked out of the Y today to see a thin scruffy white man with a long scraggly ponytail and a red baseball cap and glasses lurking among the cars in the parking lot.  When he saw me he hightailed it to his WHITE truck.  I know Elise lived 5 hours away from where I currently live, but my heart stopped at the sight of this.  I swear he looks just like the guy I kept seeing.  And he was driving a cherry-picker truck that said "Electricity" on it.  Now I have to go back and see if the dead women died after a hurricane or ice storm just to ease my mind.  It can't be him, can it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the second one died in July--I remember following the story because she was last seen within walking distance of my house--and there was no hurricane, or ice storm, involved. I believe the first one was April, but I could be wrong.

assassin

Anonymous said...

Just a thought, but you might want to reassure your friend that you know what most/all of the ladies at church think of you and that it probably isn't true stuff. Just in case your friend has doubts about something or another.