Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Jenny

Remember that I was drummed out of the BFA program at my college.  I do, however, now teach theater and direct shows, so this is my opinion.  I won't be offended if you ignore my advice.

I was always told to prepare a monologue from the show I was audtitioning for if at all possible, but what I found was if the director already had an image of the character in mind, and I didn't look like it, it became hard for that person to see me as anything else.  Do you know you do this monologue better than anyone else auditioning?  Have you used it and gotten cast?  Then use it.

If, though, you have any qualms about using it, that lack of confidence will show through.  Go in with a second monologue prepared.  Spend your small allotted time to chat with the director to let him know you have a monologue from the show prepared if he should choose to see a second one.  Chances are, you only get to show one, but....

Theater is so subjective.  Just make sure your personality shows through.  That was the lesson I never learned in college.  I went in so focussed on making the character monologue work that I forget to let the director see the real  me.  They need to know thay can work with you and that you will fit into the ensemble.

Hope that helps.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks so much :) Even though you didn't finish your BFA, you still have more education and experience than I do.

And I really hope your situation in Country Time gets better and your next church treats you the way you should be treated. A lot better!

Jenny said...

Also, I was shocked to get a whole post response!! Thank you :D My jaw dropped!

Pudge450 said...

You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, I'll weigh in, as a high school theatre teacher and director. I don't have kids audition with monologues, but I am doing a play with music this year and am asking that those auditioning for singing parts come in with a Broadway song prepared, just not from the play I'm doing. I wouldn't want to see someone audition with that show's specific song, or monologue, because it means you already have a strong notion of that character and have ingrained habits about that piece that may not be part of my vision and may be hard to break you out of. It's what MW said about directors having preconceived notions of how they want specific characters played. Especially if I don't know you and don't know how "direct-able" you are. If you are doing random monologue it is easier for me to picture you in the different roles and see which fits.
And that's how I approach auditions as a director--hope it helps and good luck!

assassin