Thursday, July 1, 2010

Checking in

Hubby says this is a "had to have been there" story, but I can't stop laughing about it so I will share it and see what happens.  One of my few friends here in Country Time left today to live abroad for three years so I am kind of low and need a good laugh.

I am teaching a theater summer camp right now where the kids spend 5 days with me and we produce a 30 minute show in that time.  Their performance is tomorrow.  We haven't managed to get through it yet without dissolving into laughter.  It's not that the show is that funny, it's just that these kids are like my own kids and  they trust me with their teenage thoughts and angst.  That trust runs over into some mighty funny antics.

Before we begin rehearsal we play some improv games to warm-up.  Yesterday I decided to teach the game "Quirks."  You probably saw this game on "What's My Line?"  A host is giving a party and guests enter who have strange quirks.  The host must guess what their quirk is.  I didn't want the host to hear me tell the students what their quirk was so I wrote each one on a piece of paper.

Things were going well and we were all laughing at each other's silliness when I gave my only male student the paper that said, "Fly buzzing around ear."  I asked him if he understood what it said and he said "yes."  Then he disappeared out the doorway to make his grand entrance.

Damned if that boy didn't enter AS a fly and start buzzing around the "host's" ear.  It was made even funnier by the fact that we had worked on commitment to character this week and he was being the best fly he could be.  I started laughing so hard that I couldn't catch my breath and tears started rolling down my face.  I kept trying to speak to stop him and tell him that HE was supposed to have a fly buzzing around HIS ear, but it was just too funny.  The host finally figured out that he was a fly and the scene stopped and I managed to spurt and stutter and tell him what he had done.  We all laughed for another few minutes but I complimented him on his commitment to being THE FLY!  He was very honored to receive the compliment.  But everytime I think about it, I start to laugh again.  I just hope they can get through the show tomorrow.

2 comments:

Bubblewench said...

I think it was pretty funny. I'm laughing. Hope the show went well today!

RV Vagabonds said...

Hubby is wrong--due to your excellent descriptive skills, I could "see" the fly. You must be a pretty darn good teacher to instill that ability to "be" the fly.

With that kind of dedication in your students, I would assume the show had to have been a success today.

Thanks for sharing!