Monday, June 28, 2010

Someone's playing tricks on me

My daughter left yesterday for her first ever sleepaway camp.  She's going to be gone for a whole week.  My stomach is in knots over fear that she will get homesick, or heatstroke, or snake bit.  Basically I am afraid of everything and anything that I can think of that could happen.  Her camp takes pictures and posts them on a private website. I keep checking back and all of her pictures show her smiling so I know she is fine...but.....I'M THE MOMMY!!!!

As coincidence would have it one of our former church's lifetime members died a few days ago.  Now, this church has a new pastor but the pastor is not in town.  He wasn't in town two weeks ago when another member died and had to be buried by a complete stranger because the pastor's back-up people failed to even call the family back.  Hubby was contacted but it was too late for him to do that funeral.  When this current member went into hospice last week, the first thing his daughter did was call Hubby.  There was no way she was going to let her dad be buried by a stranger.

Hubby, being the good pastor that he is, of course agreed to drive the 5 hours one way to our old town to perform the service.  Luckily E's camp was on the way to our old town.  But since he had to continue on after he dropped her off, I had to stay home because I couldn't spend the night in our told town since I had to work this morning.  It made me sad that I didn't get to see my daughter's location.

But, if you are keeping score, that left me all by myself in my house last night.  Just me and the raptor.  I am terrified of my neighborhood and hate being alone here at night.  I tried not to freak out and even took an ativan to try to ward off the nerves.  I finally got to sleep at midnight.  I usually put the raptor away in his crate at night, but had let him fall asleep curled up next to me.  About 1:35 AM I was awoken by a strange, repetitive beep.  It took me a minute to come fully awake and locate the sound.  It was my cell phone letting me know I had received a text.  I got out of bed and grabbed my phone.  I have had maybe 10 texts in my entire life.  This one was from a number I didn't recognize.  It had just one word in the message: BITCH!  Just like that, in all capital letters.  I freaked out.  Did someone know I was alone and was trying to scare me?  Had the gang leader gotten my cell phone number and was he coming for me? Was it just a coincidence?  I went to the computer to try to reverse look-up the number, but by the time my computer had finally turned fully on, the message was gone.  There was no record of the phone number either.  It was as if the call had never happened.

I swear it did.  I was awake because I had to get up OUT of bed to get my phone.  Do texts just disappear?  Did I press erase by accident?  I was a mess.  I called one of the people at church I know and asked her to come spend the night because I was afraid to stay by myself.  She came over and I put the raptor away in his crate.  About 15 minutes later he started to bark in his fiercest voice.  My raptor NEVER barks when he is in his crate. The most he has ever done is growled at clothes I left hanging on the doorknob.  But he was in full attack mode.  I got up out of bed and walked around the house looking for whatever was upsetting him.  I found nothing, finally got him settled and went back to bed.

I never got any answers about what actually happened last night, but I sure will be glad when Hubby gets home this evening.

4 comments:

Bubblewench said...

I have goosebumps.

I have had text messages 'disappear' all the sudden. And it's always freaked me out.

I can't wait for your hubs to get home either!

ericam said...

Eeek!! I have to say, out of all the years I've been txting, I've never had a message just disappear. I guess it can happen because it can happen to you, but maybe you really did just pretty erase on accident? Anyways, that's still creepy.

FreeDragon said...

Does the VBS director have your cell #? I was just thinking if she reads your blog you pissed her off with your last post.

Frack It said...

Actually, there is a website or program that you can send text messages through that deletes them after a certain period of time. It's called Tiger Text. It's for people that are cheating, or something like that. Completely revolting concept, but at least you know there's a possibility that you aren't crazy!