Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Following Weeks

From that day on we were inseparable. I got out of rehearsal or shows at 10:00 at night and he would meet me at the theater. We would go out to eat, or walk, or just back to my house for wine and conversation. Unless he was out of town we never spent the night apart again for the rest of his 6 weeks in Columbus.

Hubby was only in town temporarily to do an audit for his company. The audit turned up massive corruption in the office and he had to stay on to hire and train new staff. So I took those six weeks as a gift. I knew I was falling in love with him, but I had learned he had a fiancee (who after 3 years kept pushing the wedding date farther into the future) and I didn't have time for a long-term commitment. I was an actress with a soon-to-be-successful theater company. And ke knew he was falling in love with me, but he had made a promise to another woman.

But those 6 weeks were magical. He sent me white daisies on my birthday without ever being told that they are my favorite flower. He knew I wasn't eating very much because my theater had weigh-ins, so he would bring me coffee and a healthy muffin from the local market. I would hold his face in my lap and rub the tension of his day away and sing to him. It was all very indie-film romantic.

Then one day I was at rehearsal and something happened. The set consisted of multi-level platforms and the actors had to run and leap from platform to platform in a very carefully choreographed pattern. During one very dark scene I lept from my old position for my new position, only to find another actor had become confused and was in the wrong place. I crashed into his shoulder with all my weight and the full force of my nose and head. Everything went dark for a second but I kept going until the end of the scene. I was in massive pain and rehearsal was called for the night.

Hubby and I went back to my apartment but I couldn't sleep because the pain was so intense and then my nose started to bleed lightly. So at about midnight, Hubby bundled me up and took me to the emergency room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving this story - what a cliffhanger! Can't wait until the next installment.