Sunday, May 2, 2010

Little Red Deliciousness

I have lived in the South for 23 of my 40 years. Granted, I've lived in many different southern places, but I have been here. While I have lived here, I have heard of people eating squirrel, kudzu, nutrea, ham so salted it dehydrates you on the spot and tea so sweet it brings on diabetic comas just looking at it. I thought I had heard of everything.

But yesterday I got a surprise. Yesterday my next door neighbor brought over this jar of pickles, only they weren't green like normal pickles, they were red. I had never ever heard of red pickles. These were cinnamon pickles. Now I don't know about you, but the thought of eating a cinnamon flavored cucumber didn't really appeal to me, but as my 8 year old daughter was willing to taste it and I am constantly trying to get my preschoolers to discover new foods, I felt compelled to try one.

And you know what....it was GOOD!!!! So good I might actually become addicted to them. I looked on the ingredient label to see what they were made with and do you know what gives them their flavor? Red Hot candies. Now I have heard of everything!

But....I have three cucumbers plants growing in my garden and six canning jars left over from a craft project. I might just have to make me some of them DEE-licious Red Hot Pickles.


PS: To Melissa-I keep thinking back to your comment on my Choose to be Happy story. You're going to think this is strange, but when I read it I just felt like giving you a big hug and telling you everything is going to work out. I don't know if it is going to be the way you expect it to, but it will work out! People can be unintentionally cruel to couples with fertility problems, so rise above it.

3 comments:

Kauri said...

I've never tried cucumber cinnamon pickles, but my mother used to make them with apples and those were amazingly good.

Wide Lawns said...

Oh goodness I thought you were going to say it was those dang red kool-aid pickles people all over the South eat. I could handle a red hot over that any day. Do you know what I'm talking about? You just dump a packet of red Kool-Aid powder into a jar of pickles. It's horrifying beyond words.

Bubblewench said...

Sounds gross. But if one were in front of me, I'd try it.