Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Soup Recipe and....

When I was pregnant I lived on 4 things: strawberry oatmeal, eggplant parmesan SUBS (not entrees), Gatorade and nectarines. They are the only things I could safely eat and not be sick the rest of the day. One day my school kids were having a heritage celebration and a parent brought in her ancient secret famly recipe cornbread.

Now, there were 16 separate dishes spread out through the classroom and NONE of them passed the pregnancy smell test. Just being in the room made me nauseous. But then the cornbread entered and it actually looked good to me. And then I smelled it and it SMELLED good. I hesitantly took a little nibble and I was suddenly ravenous for the first time since getting pregnant and I ate three or four pieces right there without getting sick. I was in heaven.

So I went to the mom and explained that I hadn't been able to eat food for 7 months but I could eat this cornbread. Could I PUH-LEASE have the recipe? She turned, stared at me and said, "We don't give out the recipe." Ummm...who is we? "This is our family recipe and we don't tell anyone how it is made." But...but...I can't eat food but I can eat this!!! My baby needs access to this cornbread! "I'm sorry, but I just can't give it out."

I was stunned. I NEEDED that cornbread. It wasn't crumbly like most cornbread and it wasn't cake consistency either. It was SO good and I was being denied. The woman must have felt sorry for me because she voluntarily promised to make another big batch for me and I could freeze it in small portions. That made me happier. At least I could portion it out to myself in small amounts like a hiker lost in the woods.

But you know what??? She never did! She never made me the promised batch even though I would have paid her at least a $100.00 for the recipe. And then there I was, back to eating just 4 things for the next 2 months. Recipe hoarders beware- your day will come. Someday pregnant women everywhere are going to rise up and smack you with wooden spoons and soup ladles!

Speaking of soup, here is my soup recipe. I got it out of a magazine, but I can't remember which one. I do remember thinking it sounded really gross, but it is not. It's really good. Promise.

Six 6 inch flour tortillas
Nonstick cooking spray
2 T corn or vegetable oil
1 c chopped onion
½ c diced bell pepper
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 large whole bay leaf
one 2-inch strip orange zest
1 t chili powder
½ t ground cumin
29 oz chicken broth
1 t salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
2 c diced boneless deli bbq pork, chicken or turkey (about 1 lb)
0ne 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
2 c frozen whole kernel corn
8 oz tomato sauce
½ c smoky bbq sauce
1 med. Avocado (peeled, pitted and diced)

Preheat oven to 375. Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray, stack tortillas, three at a time, and with a sharp kitchen knife, cut into ¼ inch strands. Spread on ungreased baking sheet and bake uncovered until lightly browned (about 10 minutes.)

Meanwhile, heat oil in medium-size Dutch oven over high heat 2 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate; add onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf, orange zest, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring often, until limp and golden, about 5 minutes.

Add broth, salt, black pepper, and sweet potato and bring to boiling. Adjust heat so mixture bubbles gently, cover, and cook until potato is firm-tender, about 10 minutes.

Add pork, diced tomatoes w/ chiles, corn, tomato sauce, bbq sauce; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors mingle, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf and orange zest. Add salt and pepper as needed.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with diced avocado, then lightly crumble in toasted tortilla strips.

5 comments:

CC said...

I've never understood why people don't want to give out recipes. It's selfish and plain idiotic. IT'S FOOD, not the holy grail. Get over yourselves and hand over those ingredients.

Erica said...

Wow that looks incredible. Thanks for the recipe! Where did you get it? It's like nothing I've ever come across, and I'm a bit of a food junkie.

Anonymous said...

Do you normally cook things that sound really gross ;-)

'oh, that's sounds disgusting, think I'll make a batch' (?)

~tamjenic

Living in Muddy Waters said...

Tamjenic, everybody in my house gets to help make the menu for the week. Hubby loves stuff like this, so this was his choice. I would never have made it otherwise.

Or it could be a form of self-torture I am ashamed to admit.

Wide Lawns said...

Yay! Thank you. I am making this soup with a couple little alterations, and you know, it kinda sounds like a tex-mex Brunswick stew in a way, which is not a bad thing at all. I can not wait to make this!