Thursday, February 4, 2010

Addictive Soup

A while back I took part in a soup dinner that the women's circle at our church was sponsoring. About 8 of us made different soups and desserts and sold the meals to the church as a fundraiser. I made a bbq/sweet potato soup that is actually quite expensive to make because it has SOOOOO many ingredients. Now, it is good soup. I like it and all, but one of the church members seems to have become obsessed with it.

Something you need to know about CountryTime is that hoarding disease appears to run rampant here. My next door neighbor died at Christmas time and he and his wife had so much stuff in his house (and his body was so large) that the EMT's had to take him out the window because they couldn't get through all of the stuff in his house. We have a church of 150 people and we know of at least 10 members who have hoarding disease. I don't know if it is genetic ties, environmental factors or what, but it is prevalent here.

Anywho, there I was, sitting at home yesterday, folding laundry, minding my own business when the doorbell rang. There on my stoop stood Gayle. Gayle is our most, hmmm, how should I say this? Gayle is our most "eclectic" member. She is extremely smart-our state college system offers free courses to seniors, so she has obtained 3 or 4 degrees. She also makes inappropriate comments to the men in the church ("No one is around so no one would know if we....you know..") Lastly, she is a hoarder. Her car has so much junk piled in it that she has to move things to sit down in it. The papers are piled so high in every seat that they line up with the tops of the headrests. Her house is supposedly worse.

Our very first night in this house Gayle showed up on our doorstep at 9:30 at night, when all of our lights were out, to give us some expired (by 2 years) Gatorade. And there she was again, standing on my doorstep with food in her hands. I opened the door and she shoved 4 sweet potatoes, a bag of northern beans and two bottles of expired Gatorade in my hands. She said, "Here's some sweet potatoes. I want you to make that soup and share it with me." Then, just as quick as she appeared, she turned on her heels and walked away, leaving me holding the food with a stunned expression on my face.

The thing is, I really don't mind cooking for people. If she had asked me politely I would have happily made her some soup. However, Hubby only gets paid twice a month and January was a 5 week month. I also walked into the arts council to ask about why I had not received my January paycheck only to be informed by the new administrative assistant that there was a problem and they hadn't been written yet and they MIGHT NOT BE WRITTEN AT ALL. Are you kidding me? So I really can't afford to make this soup now. I know several of you are going to comment that she is mentally ill and I should cut her some slack, but is it wrong of me to have asked for a please?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

do we get a recipe?? maybe??

And no, that's one of my biggest pet peeves, people not using the work please. I noticed over the holidays that my nieces use the phrase "I want" when asking my in-laws for something rather than "May I please have." Drove me nuts. Your grandparents are not your servants.

*rant over*

That having been said, I'd say you're well within your rights to let her know that you will be happy to make it for her, just as soon as the next payday rolls around. Can you half or quarter the recipe since it's only going to one person?

rockygrace said...

Just give her the recipe. You can alter it if it's a family secret or something.

Living in Muddy Waters said...

She DOES have the recipe. She is very low-income and probably can't afford to make it either.

FreeDragon said...

She probably thought she 'paid' you by giving you the sweet potatos.
We have recipe horders here. People will NOT tell how they make certain dishes which I think is silly. Who cares if someone knows how to make your grandmother's cake? It's not like they're going to start selling cakes to one-up anybody.
I'd give her the recipe and tell her the soup was time consuming/expensive to make and that's why it was reserved how special occassions. Then I'd promise to save her some the next time I made it, but I'd be clear that won't be soon.

Anonymous said...

You're right! She's wrong!

Green said...

I think you'd be wrong to spend even a minute more anguishing over what she should have done, how she should have said anything and what you should have done.

Send her an email saying "I'm so sorry, but I won't be having time to make that soup you wanted me to make. When would you like me to drop off the food you brought over?" Next time she stops by your house uninvited, simply don't answer the door.