Monday, January 4, 2010

Watta-Gee-Kaiam

Last week I spent an entire day planning out my lessons for the upcoming month. Our library doesn't keep a lot of books in stock, so I even went online and requested books from their library partners. The books arrived this weekend and I went to pick them up today.

So there I was, standing at the counter looking at this huge pile of picture books when I noticed...one of these books was not like the other (do be do do). There amongst the "How Are you Peeling?" books and the big giant picture of a penguin from Antarctica sat my golden egg. Several months ago I had put my name on the wait list for the new Pat Conroy book (I think I have mentioned he is one of my favorite authors). I can't afford to buy a book when I only read it once, so I was very sad to see I was number 149 on the wait list. But I waited...and waited...and waited.

But today, there it was, sitting there looking so out of place, almost majestic, like royalty amongst the peasants. My lethargic stupor that I engage in when dealing with people I don't know and choose not to make small talk with was suddenly broken by the sound of a squeal. That squeal came out of me as I noticed my hand involuntarily reached out to stroke the giant capital letters that said "South of Broad." I am not a squealer, people. I certainly don't caress books, but I just couldn't help myself. I had to prove to myself it was real.

The squeal caused the librarian to look up from his scanning and I tried to redeem myself by telling him how long I had waited. His response? "Normally squeals are reserved for the new James Patterson books." I think I embarrassed us both just a little today.

But if you need me for the next day or two, you can find me hiding in the bath tub (it's frikking COLD here-17 degrees), with a big glass of wine, just me and my Pat.

And yes, I know what a geek I am!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

As a librarian, we are happy to see people get excited about books. Means we are doing our job! Enjoy your book.

Paige said...

That reminds me of when the Weekly Reader books would come in when I was little--best days of the year

Bubblewench said...

WOOHOO! That's awesome. I would have squealed too.

floridagirl said...

Weekly Reader! I haven't thought about those in forever- my Dad sent me some that he had saved of mine before he died.
I also liked Highlights.