Friday, January 15, 2010

God Bless the Child

I have had a very rough week. Seriously. It sucked. That nagging cough and crushing heart pain is STILL sticking around, so I decided to bite the bullet and call my primary doctor who normally takes 6 weeks to get in to see. I called 2 minutes after someone had cancelled an appointment and was able to see her the next day (yesterday.) I actually thought it was a sign that I was supposed to go see the doctor.

I get there and was given another EKG. This one came back abnormal and I was sent to the hospital (I drove myself) for a chest x-ray and in-depth blood tests. We live in a very small town, there is no cardio doctor available which is why I had to go to the hospital for tests. She ordered the test results stat and was supposed to call me back within a few hours, telling me to prepare myself to go spend the night at the hospital if she wasn't happy with the results. No call came last night. I was in agony. Was I dying of lung cancer or a heart attack? Hmm...which could it be? Was it both?

When I still hadn't heard from her by this morning I figured if it had been an emergency, she would have called, so I started to relax. I went to work and tried to just go about my normal business. I have taken on a new class for two-year olds (extra money to pay for my therapy) and I am the only adult in the room. So there I am, changing this cute little boy's diaper when the tell-tale chest pain came rushing back. I kept mentally telling myself I was just having a panic attack, just breathe, all the while talking to this little boy so he wouldn't know his teacher was going off the deep-end. Just as I got his diaper completely off, he looked at me with this angelic smile and said, as serious as you please, "I have a very large pee pee!"

I didn't quite know how to respond, so I simply said, "You do?" to which he answered, again in the most earnest of voices, "Yes...it's very big." And with that, a giant whoosh of laughter left my body and the tightness in my chest lessened and I was able to go about the rest of my day.

I did finally get the test results, everything was normal. So apparently I just have some sort of mythological, pleuritic pain that doesn't respond to medicines. Gee, I love my body.

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Sounds like stress if a good laugh made it better. So laugh more.

Charlitan said...

This is simialr to what happened to Tina. She had pain in her ribs so bad that she could not breathe well. They diagnosed her with Pleurasy over an over but she never got better. She had to spend months and months chsing doctors and forcing tests to finally get a diagnosis. Turns out she has nerve damage. She thought she was having a heart attack, also. Thankfully, her heart is fine, but her pain is real.
My point is that is could be stress. But if the pain contiues, push the doctors, just to be sure. I have learned one thing from dealing with Tina, her mother and now my fathers serious illnesses... they will not care as much about your health as you will.
Please take care of yourself.

Paige said...

If only everything could be cured with a good laugh, huh?

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your health, my husband gets similar chest pains, also undiagnosed.

Re: the boy - typical male!

~tamjenic

Anonymous said...

Not to be irritating, but holding in tension can come out in really strange ways in the body. Also having something slightly out in the back can cause a crushing pain and difficulty moving the arms. It's not in your head but your head might be sending your body a message and it might be coming out in crippling pain. I don't like to admit it but my body sure does a number on me.
Desert Dweller