Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Through the Looking Glass

Someone asked me the other day if, given a choice, I would marry a pastor again. I thought about it for a second and responded that, yes, I would marry a a pastor again, but only MY pastor. I definitely would not marry any other pastor, in love or not.

It's funny the twists and turns your life takes. 22 year-old me would never have thought almost 40 me would be here, in CountryTime, married to a minister, Super-mom and living with a "terrier with issues." In fact, I got to thinking about where 22 year-old me thought she was going.

My brother had just died and left me a $25,000 life insurance. I used $15,000 to pay off my college loans and started to look around at my life. I knew I wanted to sing and act, but where? Columbus wasn't really the hip-happening place to be, even though I was working with a professional-of-sorts company. I wanted more and now had a $10,000 cushion.

Charlitan, aka Chrysalis now, has a life-long friend whom I adored living in Chicago. He graciously allowed me to come out and spend the weekend with him to check out the lay of the land. I had lived in Bolingbrook as an elementary student, but couldn't say I knew a thing about Chicago. When I visited I just knew... I.....Loved....It! Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world. I knew that's where I wanted to be. I went home to Columbus and started plotting and planning.

As it just happened to turn out, I had done a show with a lawyer from Cinncinnati named Dick. Dick was a great guy, very personable and willing to help out a friend in need. Not what I thought a lawyer should be at all. Dick had a good friend named Jerry who had a small talk show in Chicago. When Dick heard I was thinking of going to Chicago but was too responsible to go without a job, he called his friend Jerry up and asked if he had any work for me. Jerry said sure, send her up, she can be a production assistant. I was set...I had a job...I had friends in Chicago...I had $10,000 to get started with, what more could I want?

This was February and I had a commitment on my apartment lease until September. I knew the job wouldn't wait forever, but I decided to move in three months. That would give me time to find someone to take over my part of the lease and give notice at my job. I was so excited. I was going to Chicago.

But a funny thing happened, I met this guy, this really southern, charming, good-looking guy who swept me off my feet. He was in Columbus for just a few months and during the coldest winter we had had in 50 years. He was miserable, but I kept him warm. And I feel head over heels in love with him. He was willing to do a lot of things for me, but go through Chicago winters was not one of them. So my plans changed and I let go of my dream to move to Chicago.

Which was probably a good thing, since the Jerry with the show was Jerry Springer and his talk show turned into something that would have caused my very soul to melt into a caustic goo and I would not have been able to look at myself in a mirror ever again.

So, instead, I am a teacher, a mom, a pastor's wife and a person who helps teach theater. Sometimes I sing with the church band, sometimes not. But that's okay. Almost 40 me is not as unhappy as this blog makes me appear. In fact, I think I am pretty lucky. It's not a bad life after all.

5 comments:

C said...

Nice save! I'm glad you didn't end up with Jerry.

Jeannie said...

Ah but Jerry could have been a great springboard to something else...

stolefromclark said...

that sounds so similar to the pioneer woman's story of love. how adorable!

Charli-tan said...

I am still cracking up over the Jerry Springer thing! I have an image of you prying rednecks apart!

I may steal your idea and write about what the 20 year old me thought I'd be doing. Except I think my story is a lot more boring that yours!

Maybe I'll eat ice cream instead!

Speaking of ice cream, we want to know how "40 by 40" is going so we can cheer for you!

Linda and Denny said...

So you were going to work for the mayor of Cincinnati, huh? Didn't realize you were a fellow Buckeye, girl!

Karma, fate, God's will--we follow a path full of potholes and side trails. Makes life interesting, doesn't it?