Tuesday, October 27, 2009

But Not the Swine....

I haven't been posting because my life has been busier than I don't know what. I've been trying to get my living room and family room painted before our parsonage open house. That on top of work, training the raptor, soccer and church responsibilites, I've been just a wee bit distracted. But it got a lot rougher when my throat started to twinge....and by twinge I mean hurt like someone fed me crushed glass and then topped it off by shoving a hot poker down my throat.

Now several years ago I would have ignored this pain and pushed myself until I ended up so miserable I couldn't lift my head off my bed, but not this time. I went straight to the doctor and got a strep test. And then I got antibiotics. So even though I still feel like crap, I am on the mend. I really didn't want to have to go to the doctor's office, though, because I didn't want to sit among all of the people with the flu. The flu is hitting this area hard. An entire school system had to close down early last week because the staff and kids were falling like flies. One of my school kids had it and it turned into pneumonia. That gave me a moment's pause, but I am still sticking to my guns about the vaccine.

Anywho, whilst I am sitting here mending, I have been using the crushed ice out of my fridge at a death defying pace. I have to have my drinks ice cold, especially when my throat hurts. When I was in Europe, I was that weird, rude American who insisted on ice in my drinks. Not just the begrudging one piece of ice that I usually received, but enough to clank in my glass and cause the condensation to form.

Do you remember grocery stores and Green Stamps? You would collect the stamps and put them in a booklet and then go and turn your stamps in for some weird, made for tv gadget? I still remember the best thing we ever got. When I was 7 or 8 my parents let me choose an ice crusher. It was the coolest thing EVER! It looked like a toaster with a little drawer. You could put three or four pieces of ice in it at a time and the machine would grumble and shake for a few minutes and crushed ice would appear in the little drawer. Just enough for one drink, but I loved it. I used that machine for several years until one day it started to puff and smoke and my crushed ice was no more. I was despondent. It would be 25 years before I would own a refigerator that dispensed crushed ice and light returned to my world.

That's all that's new in my world. Sorry.

3 comments:

Bubblewench said...

I'm an ice freak too, must have FULL glass of ice.

I have that ice crusher. Hubs Grandmom gave it to me a few months ago. LOVE IT!

Jeannie said...

Everyone here is sick with the flu but me. I had it last December before it was fashionable. I ended up with severe asthma which I do not normally have. I kept going anyway because I had to. It was a long time recuperating. Weeks. I want a fridge that dispenses crushed ice.

Anonymous said...

I fill every glass to the top with ice. Must be COLD. Except for water. That must be room temperature and have lemon in it.

Feel better.

DW