Saturday, August 8, 2009

One More Thing

A comment Painted Lady left made me think of something I should have added to my hurricane story. During my many experiences with storm surge, week-long power outages and filth from debris, I learned to greatly appreciate the National Guard and the Red Cross. I was sleeping on the island with no power and my windows wide open but never once had to worry that someone was going to loot the apartment below or break into my house because the National Guard is just that damn good! So kudos to them and their families.

Also, the Red Cross feeding truck takes the place of the ice cream truck for adults facing disaster. You spend your whole day filthy, dirty and smelly and dread the thought of going home to open another can of cold beanie weanies because you don't have power to cook. But then, just when you are at your lowest, you hear this voice on a loudspeaker come out from a truck where you can go and get a hot cooked meal for free (which is important since you aren't working because you are fixing your home.) I hope to one day be a Red Cross volunteer and travel across the country to pay them back for all the times they have helped us.

So Painted Lady, hang in there. Take it one day at a time and know that there are people who will help Louisville and that no matter how bad it seems right now, you WILL get to the other side. Even if it doesn't feel like it.

No comments: