Saturday, August 15, 2009

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Finally!!! I have found the one surly and mean person in CountryTime. I was truly starting to believe I lived in a Twilight Zone state of existence where everyone was programmed by some far-reaching Oz-like creature to keep me in the constant grip of niceness.

Last week Hubby preached on the line from the Lord's Prayer that said "Lead us not into temptation." Now, I hate to admit it, but normally I am zoning off in my head, making a grocery list or trying to remember lyrics to all the musicals I have ever been in during my husband's sermons. I can't help it. His sermons are so lofty for a little non-church person like myself. Anywho, I TRIED to listen last week as he talked about temptation being more of a human thing than a God thing. Kind of like we make our own choice to make bad choices, God doesn't put them in our path.

So....I am the pastor's wife and I try to be a good person. Really, I do. Today I went to our local grocery store and got about $100.00 worth of things. When I got home, there was a $10.00 pack of chicken that I did not buy mixed into my things. It was obviously accidentally placed there by the bagger from the person in line ahead of me. What to do? It wasn't my mistake. They made the mistake. And it was pouring rain. Why should I take it back?

Well, I decided I should take it back because I am a person who has a horribly controlling conscience and understand that by not returning the chicken, I was adding to the high rising costs of food. Plus, I didn't pay for it so in essence I was stealing it if I kept it. AND...Hubby did do that sermon...

So, I got in my car, drove through the pouring rain and took the chicken back. Now I wasn't expecting a parade or for the checker to jump up and down in ecstasy, shouting to the rooftops that I had done the right thing. But I didn't expect the eyeroll and the giant "HUFF" she gave me when I told her what had happened. She took the chicken, turned on her heels, and without a thank you she walked away. So much for trying to do the right thing.

I was going to ask what you would have done, but I suspect I would just get a whole bunch of comments saying I should have kept the stupid chicken. Lesson learned.

6 comments:

G.H. said...

I think you did the right thing!
Who cares how the stupid checker reacted, they probably couldn't care less about a little package of chicken.

paintlady2424 said...

They probably threw it away because they couldn't be sure it wasn't contaminated. They don't know how long it was since it was not refrigerated or if you were a crazy trying to do a Tylenol. I know I would be leery of buying something like that. There are looney tunes out there.

tamjenic said...

um, you should have kept the chicken :-)

Jeannie said...

I have an overactive conscience too but in a case like that, I'd have just kept the chicken. I might have phoned the store and asked it they wanted it back...but really, they couldn't have sold it to anyone as per paintlady's comment. You did the right thing and someone somewhere will have noticed and you will be seen as someone honest. Just - no one would have been wiser if you'd hadn't been. Except God. And us if you'd told. What did your husband think?

seryan said...

You did the right thing to bring it back. The cashier should have recorded what happened (might not have, but was probably supposed to) and if the right person comes back looking for their chicken, they're more likely to get a replacement or refund now.

Anonymous said...

I agree about phoning because I hate driving in the rain; but it might also have been a test to see how honest the new pastor's family was (and the checker bet you'd keep it and lost her bet and some money! Hhrmmph!)
Also the question of it being out of refrigeration for who knows how long meant she had to throw it away and maybe her feet hurt, which can make me grumpy.