Sunday, August 2, 2009

My First Faux Pas at Our New Church

You knew it had to happen. It was only a matter of time before I offended one or several people at our new church. Today was the day that it happened, not once but twice!

Our church service opens with a lay person doing the morning greeting and announcements. This person uses a hand-held mic because Hubby uses the around your head rock star mic. Well, Hubby was about to stand up to make an announcement in church but realized his power pack was turned off. As he stood up he made the unfortunate comment of "I better turn myself on here!" which completely tickled me and I burst out laughing. I got several glances, but managed to compose myself before too many people noticed.

But then the lay person started talking about the upcoming church yard sale. The lay person reminded people that this yard sale was meant to be a little more upscale and they didn't want any clothes. I was sitting next to a man who kind of giggled at that statement so, I, with my off-color sense of humor, piped up "What kind of church is this where clothes are optional?" Only I said it a little too loudly and one of the blue hairs in the pew in front of me turned around, scowled at me, and said a very loud "SHUSH!!" I was duly chastised and didn't say another word the rest of the service. But it was bound to happen!

On a worrisome note, my little SPCA dog seems to have developed kennel cough. Today being Sunday, no vets in CountryTime were open. I called our vet's emergency number but she told me not to come in until tomorrow since dogs don't die of kennel cough. But still, E is beside herself with worry and the poor little mutt feels miserable. I sure hope the vet is right!

6 comments:

CC said...

Ugh, I hate people with no sense of humour. It's a church, not a freaking funeral parlor (except for sometimes, I suppose).

Bubblewench said...

I would have laughed too. And probably made the same comment.

Hope Eddie is ok!

Terra Tenshi said...

Don't apologize for having a sense of humor! The churches where people could laugh at themselves are always the most comfortable.

Speaking from experience of working with a lot of rescue dogs and volunteering at an animal hospital, kennel cough is to dogs what the cold is to people. Theoretically it can kill but only in extreme cases and not without some time untreated first. If you want to make your puppy more comfortable you can remove it's collar, give it a warm and draft free place to lie down, give him wet food or moistened dry food so as not to irritate his throat, and give him a vapor treatment by taking him into the bathroom while you take a hot shower so he can breathe in the steam.

Anonymous said...

I hope the blue haired is more embarrassed at shushing you than you are of being shushed by her. You're the pastor's wife!

/ dw

L. said...

I think your comment (in the church) was very funny. I've heard Priests and lay people make jokes during Mass, and the jokes were very human - yours would have drawn a huge laugh, at least in my Parish. Hope the doggy is feeling better. That suggestion about taking him into the shower to breath the steam sounds interesting... could you use a vaporizer as well, I wonder ...

Anonymous said...

Maybe she shushed you because she was hard of hearing and was having trouble understanding what was being said. I would have been laughing and punching my husband's leg if I'd have heard that in church.