Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An Update on Dionne and Others

A while back I wrote about a young man from our church named Dionne has been in jail since that post and is only now seeing progress on his case. But I wanted to share what he has been doing in jail.

Jail, although a horrible and depressing place, has actually been good for him. He is finally getting enough to eat and a set routine, something he has never had. He is getting his GED and leading a bible study on his cell block. He has plans to marry his girlfriend, who has been visiting him every week since his incarceration. I never thought I would say this, but for the first time since I have known him, he is thriving.

Hubby was asked to write a letter of reference for Dionne because he is finally getting a bond hearing. I don't know if this is part of due process or his case has changed, but we are hopeful that this means things might turn in his favor. We still don't know what his part in the murder was, but maybe, just maybe, he left the person to die out of fear for his family's safety and not just cruel disregard to human life. I've never had to live my life in abject poverty so I can not judge his life choices. But I am hoping...

In other news, I am free from my horrible boss. I walked out on Friday never to have to see her face or hear her voice again. Although, amazingly enough, she gave me a great letter of reference. I was shocked, to say the least.

My mom is doing a little better. She had her first shot and found out she only has to have one more. The pain is subsiding and she is driving her self around if only to the store, but that's a start. She is still taking the ativan, but her GP is making her see her every 2 weeks until she starts to climb out of the depression. She held it together when I said goodbye as I left for our new location, so I am hopeful that she is going to rise.

We haven't gotten into our new house yet (they are still doing repairs from the last pastor) but I am amazed by our new little town. It's hard to believe that coastal towns can be so different. The accent is a little different and the air feels less humid. It's almost like stepping back in time here. In a good way.

I'm going to stop here for now. I'm feeling a little like Doogie Howser writing his journal at the end of his show. Nothing exciting to post, but I felt like I needed to let you all know that I am doing okay.

2 comments:

Bubblewench said...

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Hope the house is ready for you soon.

Keeping your mom in my thoughts & prayers. And you too!

Amanda said...

I'm so happy that things are looking up for you. Hang in there!