Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Question of the Day

I am mentally, emotionally and physically on autopilot about to crash and burn. I just don't have the ability to process a coherent thought for a proper post. My boss hasn't shown up the past two days to close the classroom, so I have been doing it by myself, plus boxing up my own house, plus taking care of my mom...you see where I am going with this?

Anywho, since I can't post properly, I thought I would ask a question that gravely concerns me every time it comes into my line of sight. Maybe someone can give me an answer or at least fathom a good guess. Here goes:

WHERE DO ALL THE SHOES IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD COME FROM?

Seriously. I know that shoes tied around an electric line represent a drug corner (supposedly) but who loses shoes out of their car? And when they lose them, why don't they go back and get them. Shoes aren't cheap. I drove the 100 mile roundtrip to see my mom today and there were no fewer than 4 pairs of shoes tossed into the middle of the road. And they were all in various locations. Some where in the city, some where on a swampy back country road. One pair was on a bridge. WHO IS LOSING THEIR SHOES?

Cyberworld, help me out with this question that has been driving me crazy for years. How do the shoes end up lost on these roads? And no, Bush has not been in my area lately followed by angry Iraqian journalists.

10 comments:

BusyBee said...

IDK - I always just see ONE shoe. See if they're your size. :)

Jeannie said...

I always wonder the same thing. Sunday, my faux grand daughter and I went down to the park and found a single Nike men's sandal lying there.

You'd think you'd notice if something like that suddenly went missing. But I think drunks are responsible.

donna said...

Maybe it's a new form of road rage??

BTW, things will get better.

Terra Tenshi said...

Someone put the shoes on the rood of the car for some reason, forgot them, started driving, and had them go flying off the roof like this person (http://mybasketcase.multiply.com/journal/item/118)?

Bubblewench said...

I have always wondered that too..

Bubblewench said...

I have to leave this comment that has nothing to do with shoes..

I LOVE CHARLITAN! She is the most adorable sweetest beatiful woman I have met in a long ass time.

I see why she loves you so much too, just from reding your blog. :)

FreeDragon said...

This is the story I read in a book called Coyote Road, which is a collection of short stories. I don't remember the title, I think it was Shoes, but anyway it goes like this:
A college kid who thought he was hot goes up into the mountains with some friends and meets what he thinks is a hot girl. He has a girlfriend and he's been trying to get with another girl but none of that matters when he's after Miss Hottie. They go up to a natural hot spring and he asks her for a kiss. She refuses so he takes one of her shoes. Sometime later one of his shoes goes missing and he drives to town to buy another pair. Along the way he thinks he sees his shoe on the side of the road. He stops to check, but it's the wrong size. He takes the shoe with him and goes on. Presently he comes to another shoe similar to the missing one and it is also the wrong size. He goes on and on, finding almost matches. Back at camp the women are talking and discovering what a dog he is. Eventually he gets to the end of the shoe trail and there's a big coyote waiting for him. She's Miss Hottie and she laps him across the face, managing to get most of her tongue in his mouth which of course, he finds gross. He gets back to camp and none of the women will talk to him. So when you see those shoes- drive on.

Donna said...

I've wondered this myself! But I never see a pair, just one lonely shoe. I hadn't heard the drug dealer connection.

ty-ping said...

CATCH THEM they're trying to get away from their smelly foot overlords!

Jean said...

It's the Ramones.

Seriously.

We noticed that every time the Ramones came to town, shoes littered the streets all over the Bay Area.

Shoes in the road is just Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee saying they want to hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach....