Sunday, May 17, 2009

What's Opera Doc?

Okay, I am sick and tired of having this conversation with my Hubby. He has a master's from the top seminary in the world for crying out loud. 15 years we have been together and we keep having this conversation in one form or another over and over. As I was hugging my daughter goodnight...

ME: I will hug you and squeeze you and call you George.

E: What does that mean, Mommy?"

HUBBY: It comes from an old cartoon....

ME: IT DOES NOT COME FROM AN OLD CARTOON!!! The cartoon took it from Of Mice and Men! I keep telling you that!

E: What is that, Mommy?

HUBBY: It's from a play...

E: NO NO NO!!! It's a book...

HUBBY: That's right, by George Bernard Shaw.

ME (With my eyes popping out of my head): NO NO NO... by John Steinbeck! It was made into a play and then the cartoon. ARGHH!

I think he does this to me on purpose. So now I am humming in my head "Killed a husband, killed a husband"

4 comments:

Misha said...

It's nice to know I am not the only one who uses "Of Mice and Men" references when cuddling.

Erica said...

Ahaha! Okay, so this really just begs the question in my mind, why hasn't E seen that Bugs Bunny cartoon?! She should know that line by now!

Then again, this is coming from the girl who did not know until a few seconds ago that line .was from a Steinbeck novel. So maybe my judgement is a little clouded. My parents did, however, take me to see a screening of various Looney Tunes with a live symphony playing the classical masterpieces that are featured in so many of them. I'm cultured, I swear!

Jeannie said...

Is that to the tune of "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit"?

tamjenic said...

I think he likes getting a rise out of you. My husband does the same thing.

(not with Steinbeck, though)