Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Old Man's Cave

Christen, I will continue with Tales from the Parsonage in a day or two because they are more in-depth and I don't have a lot of time to write right now, but I have a really spooky story that is fairly short for Wide Lawns.

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY TRUE STORY!!!

Back when Hubby and I were dating, we were a wild and passionate couple. We couldn't get enough of each other's company and it was almost like living in a movie. Hubby was temporarily living in Ohio while he did an audit of the Columbus business location he worked for. He was only supposed to be in my life for 6 weeks before he went back to New Orleans. I wanted to share with him my favorite place in Ohio before he left. It has beautiful places to hike, and even though it was March and snowy, I wanted to share that place with him before he was gone forever. Unfortunately, my favorite place is also the most haunted place in Ohio. Look it up, I'll wait. It's called "Old Man's Cave". (The Ohio Pen was the first most haunted place, but it was torn down, although I have snuck into there as well.)

Anywho, I was acting with a theater company at the time and didn't get a lot of days off. So when I came up with 2 days off, Hubby and I headed out to a motel in Old Man's Cave after my last rehearsal. We got there fairly late at night, checked in to the motel, had some wine...After we had finally fallen asleep we were both woken up by a sound. My sleep-muddled mind thought it was the ice shifting in the ice bucket, only it was freezing cold in the room. It shouldn't have been cold since we had left the heater on before we fell asleep. Hubby and I, now both awake, felt something in the room with us. I tried to speak but there was a sudden whooshing sensation as all of the air was sucked out of the room and the door to the parking lot slammed shut. For just a moment, we were left in a vacuum, unable to think. We were both scared out of our mind. Poor religious Hubby, who had never had any experience with the supernatural, was up in arms and amazed. Even I, with all my weird experiences, had never felt anything so evil.

I'm still not sure what it was. I never saw anything, only felt something. It felt animalistic, almost wolf-like. If you research Old Man's Caves, you'll find mention of people being haunted by spirit dogs, so I assume that is what it was. The thing I never figured out, though, was what it wanted....

1 comment:

Terra Tenshi said...

All of the hocking hills area is haunted as all get out. I was lucky, whenever we went hiking in that area we tended to head for ash cave instead. I heard the phantom barking but the only supernatural things I ever saw were glimpses of the lady and the fairy lights.