Monday, April 27, 2009

Memories

About a year and a half ago we had to put our dog to sleep. It was a traumatic and painful time in our life since we adopted her before we got married. It was like an end of an era. She gave us some good memories and a lot of laughs, and something happened today that reminded me of her.

Her name was Sadie and she was an abused animal that we rescued from the shelter. When we first got her she had horrible separation anxiety and cost us thousands of dollars the first month. She ate a hole into our couch, destroyed our mattress, tore apart the back of our bedroom door, devastated every single venetian blind and curtain in our apartment...twice... and mangled a cage built for a dog twice her weight. It was a stressful time, but with love and attention she settled into one of the best dogs ever. But, she never liked delivery people or postal people, specifically UPS.

When we first got married, Hubby and I lived on a second floor apartment 4 blocks from the ocean. We lived in a quiet little tourist town that was so safe we left our back door open to allow Sadie access to the backyard whenever she wanted. When we were home we left our front door open with only the screen door keeping Sadie in. We had never had a problem with her and the screen door when people came to the door, because she was a fairly big dog and people respected that, until the day our mail carrier decided to make a horrible mistake.

Sadie was lying on the floor by the screen door with her nose pressed against the screen when the mail carrier walked up the flight of stairs to our door to deliver a package. I was sitting on the couch where he couldn't see me and was about to stand up to go to him when all of a sudden he saw Sadie, put the package down and put his hands on the screen and yelled "Boo!" at her. To this day I still don't know why he did that, but Sadie reared up, let out a terrifying low bawl (she was a blue tick hound) and rushed the screen door, knocking it off its hinges, straight at him. The man had nothing but the screen door (which was fast approaching him) between them and he took off running down the steps, jumped in his car and drove off as fast as he could. The screen door got stuck at the top of our entranceway and Sadie could go no farther. But from then on, any package that was delivered to us from that post office had the words BIG DOG scrawled in big letters.

But it was the poor UPS driver that probably still tells this story today. Once again we had the screen door open and Sadie was lying on the floor when the UPS truck stopped just a few houses down the street. I was in the kitchen and didn't hear it pull up until it was too late. I heard a strange whooshing, then tearing sound and went rushing into the living room thinking someone was trying to enter our apartment. Oh, how I wish that had been the case. Sadie had once again knocked the screen door of its hinges, only this time it was pushed to the side and Sadie was down the stairs and chasing after the driver who had just walked away from the door where he had delivered his package. I called to Sadie but she was on a mission. All I could do was warn the driver.

"GET BACK IN THE TRUCK!" I screamed. The driver looked at me and gave me a friendly wave.

"GET BACK IN THE TRUCK...NOW!" I tried again. The man looked at me with a funny look, but still just thought I was crazy. Finally, I decided brevity was the best course of action.

"DOG!!!!!!" I hollered and pointed at his silent attacker just about to grab his leg. He jumped into his truck just as Sadie got to it and he pulled away, almost hitting her in the process. About this time I finally caught her and tried to signal sorry into his rearview mirror, but he was gone.

Needless to say, we never left the screen door open again after that.

1 comment:

Bubblewench said...

I don't know if I feel worse for the dog or the UPS guy!

That mailman was STOOPID!

Glad you have such memories of her. She sounds like she was a big sweetie.