Saturday, April 18, 2009

A good old-fashioned ghost story plus...

I have never been a sleeper. I am constantly battling insomnia and if I had my druthers, I would go to bed at 1:30 AM and wake up at 9:00. But alas, that doesn't work with my job or my family's schedule, so I just suffer and try to go to bed at 10:30. This is the way I have always been, even from birth.

My mom says that I was so bad when I was a small toddler that the pediatrician told my mom to just put me in my room at the same time every night and tell me I was not allowed to come out until the next morning, and to leave me be if I didn't go to sleep or woke up in the middle of the night and started playing. He told my mom that I would sleep when I got tired and I could always nap during the day.

So that's what my mom did, more to save her sanity then anything else. However, when I was just a wee lass, we lived in an old brick house that had three stories. My bedroom was on the second floor and we had a playroom in the attic. My mom had been putting me in my room everynight and leaving me be. I was a good-rule follower and stayed in my room just as I was told. My mom would hear me in my room playing every night about 2:00 AM, but didn't worry too much until one night she heard my toys moving and me talking to someone, having a completely one-sided conversation. She snuck in to check on me and my toys were moving, only I wasn't touching them. Someone was playing with me that she couldn't see!

Now remember, my mom grew up in a family that believed in the supernatural, so she checked to make sure I wasn't scared and then left me be. This happened many nights, until we moved as a matter of fact. The last week in this house, my mom was packing up our stuff into boxes and she kept hearing angry shuffling and thumping coming from our playroom. Only no one was up there. The noise became so bad that my brother was in tears from fright. My mom walked straight up to the third floor and told the ghost that she was sorry he was upset (my mom said I called it a he) but that his behavior was not okay and it was scaring my brother. The ghost stopped and we moved away. That was the last we ever heard from the ghost....maybe.

For you see, my daughter struggles with the same sleep issues I have. Only, she is very afraid to go to sleep and has to have a routine to comfort herself. In fact, she is almost always near tears every night before she goes to sleep because (duh duh duh) she is afraid a man is going to come into her room. I don't know where this fear comes from. We don't let her watch scary movies or even regular tv. We live in a safe neighborhood and she has never had an incident with any scary adult (although she was attacked on a playground once...hmm). Anywho, I just put it off to her anxiety. At least, I put it off until yesterday.

E has a metal plaque hanging from a chain on her door. It is from our friend who works for the sheriff and it basically says anyone who enters these premises illegally gets a free ride to jail. It has hung from her door for several weeks now, through storms, A/C blowing and the heater cycling through. It has never moved. But at about 5:00 AM yesterday I was woken up by a "tick, tick, tick" sound that my brain had never heard in our house before. It was as if someone was tapping on a door. Hubby got up to find E had locked her bedroom door after the sign had mysteriously started knocking against it. She thought the man was trying to get in!

And after putting all the dots together, I'm not sure he wasn't. It could be a coincidence. But then again.....it might not.

Believe it or not.

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Creepy things happen. If I hadn't had a few unexplainable experiences myself, I'd be inclined to be skeptical.

FreeDragon said...

you know, sometimes ghosts haunt families instead of houses

Terra Tenshi said...

This may be a "no duh" sort of comment but have you considered trying to talk to this possible ghost? Theoretically if it listened to your mother before and if it's followed you all this time there's the possibility that if you talk to him and E you may be able to come to an agreement that they can both deal with.

Bubblewench said...

I believe it... we have at least 2 ghosts living in our house, never know what they are going to do next... and what Terra Tenshi said.. have you tried to talk to it? Asked it to leave her alone? Might work..

Veronica said...

I live in New Orleans so, as you can imagine, I believe in ghosts. I think it's sad not to. Believing in ghosts makes my life so much more colorful.