Wednesday, April 8, 2009

As God is My Witness...

Do you remember that great 70's sitcom (or was it 80's) WKRP in Cinncinnati? I watch that show occasionally and still laugh at the jokes and innuendos. It was just a great ensemble cast show. But the best episode had to be the Great Thanksgiving episode where the radio station gave away turkeys for Thanksgiving, only they dropped them out of a plane. Hubby and I turn to each other every now and then and yell, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could FLY!"

Well, a Yay God church has gotten it into their collective heads to have an Easter egg drop from a helicopter. I just see all sorts of liability issues with this premise. Eggs falling from a high altitude and small children escaping their parents grasp...hmm...sounds like a bad idea to me. I think someone from that church needs to watch WKRP.

Anywho, yes, I went to visit our new church and parsonage this past week. The trip up was treacherous. I am a tornado magnet. REALLY!! If there is a tornado or even going to be a tornado, it will find me. There were 6 tornadoes in my state on Monday, I was in the vicinity of 3 of them. And when I say vicinity, I mean within a mile of them. Something even pushed my car while Hubby was driving and now he is a believer that tornadoes seek me out. I have outrun a tornado while driving on an Interstate, had a tornado surround my house while I was in it and knock 2 giant trees down and I have had an F2 tornado go down my street while I huddled in the basement. Seriously, you don't want to be near me in a storm.

We finally got to our new locale and it was a little offputting. The church was an exact opposite of everything our church is now. The laity are very active. The pastor is retiring and has not been pulling his weight for several years, so they are excited to have fresh blood come in and lead. The sanctuary is haphazard and ugly, but I think that is the pastor's fault. When we walked through the parsonage there was so much junk in it, I couldn't focus on the house. The house is big enough, but it is 50 years old and has odd rooms that appear out of nowhere and 2 kitchens. That's all fine, but you should have seen this place. It was as if the family had that hoarding disease. In some places I could barely find a path to walk through. The man had 25 pairs of shoes. What does a man need with 25 pairs of shoes? I just hope they take all their junk with them when they move, so I won't have to clean it all out! I think this hoarding made its way into the church building.

But all in all, I think it will be a good move and a good fit for Hubby. I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up, but I'm keeping my eyes open and hoping for a sign. Maybe a guitar will suddenly appear on my doorstep and that will be my signal to go back to singing? Who knows, a tornado may just blow it up to my house. Really....

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Loved WKRP!
Maybe they were going to put little parachutes on each egg? Maybe? Otherwise, how many idiots can you fit in a helicopter?

Sounds like your new situation will be great! Ok, the clean up will be blech BUT that also means that you get to change things to the way YOU want them and no one can say they liked it the way it was!

I have nightmares about tornados. We get the rare one in our area.

tamjenic said...

Good luck with the move.

I totally loved that episode - I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard the first time I saw it.

Bubblewench said...

I used to LOVE that show! Les Nesman was my fave, next to Johnny Fever! And who didnt' want to be Loni Anderson?

Maybe you should be a tornado chaser..

Best of luck with the 'new'.