Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Going on Record

Okay, I'm going to go to go record and say that before this month is over, there is going to be a lot more discussion regarding this year's flu reports. We have been hearing all flu season how the flu vaccinations given this year "hit the mark" and did "pretty well" at fighting it off. Tell that to my school. We had someone come in and vaccinate the whole school in November and today we had a less than 40% attendance rate. The culprit, the flu. And it's starting to trickle out into our community. This may be the worst season in a long time.

Yes, that's what I had. Not lung cancer...not some strange illness. The doctor I saw yesterday said my allergen levels are showing high and my white blood counts are showing virus, but other than that I look normal, so I must just try to find some time to rest. But could someone please tell that to my laundry...my dirty kitchen floor...my daughter's soccer team...the church choir and sunday school classes...my afterschool program....my preschool class prep....my groceries...ummm...MY LIFE!!! Everyone tells you to rest, but here's the thing, what do you give up to rest? You can't give up your work, because you have to make money. You can't give up your child, because she needs you to be a mom whether you feel good or not. You may be sick, but you still need clean clothes. What gives so you can rest? And yes, you can tell me lots of things I can cut out, but it'll fall on a deaf ear because I am the ALWAYS IN CHARGE AND TOTALLY ON TOP OF THINGS MOM/PASTOR'S WIFE/TEACHER WHO MUST NOT FAIL!

So for now I'll just be a martyr and whimper and suffer and make you all suffer with me. And no, we haven't heard where we're going yet.

5 comments:

FreeDragon said...

Several years ago I was in a car wreck and now I have back problems. Every so often I hurt so much I can't stand it so I go see a chiropractor. He always insists that I take it easy. I'll ask what I'm allowed to do and he'll say, watch movies, eat nice dinners, and read books. And I'll say, can I do laundry? And he'll say, NO! You can't carry a heavy basket, you must rest! Then I'll say, can I sweep the floor or rake leaves? No repetive motion! And I'll remind him, you know I live alone right? To which he replies- have someone stay with you until you're well!
Right. I'll tell my family to drop their lives just to wait on me. Sure.

Anonymous said...

HA! Last week I had a migraine for FIVE days. I was totally incapacitated. It super sucked. Sometimes, I am grateful that we don't have children just yet because I just don't know how you moms are able to cope when you're sick as can be and everyone still depends on you.

Yikes.

/ dw

Charli-tan said...

Well, I'm glad it's not cancer! I was worried about you!
But the Flu is no picnic and yeah, there is no rest for the weary... don't people realize that almost no one can just "take it easy"?
It would be nice if the doctors office would employ people who's job it is to go to peoples homes who are supposed to "take it easy" for a few days and do the chores so the mom can rest!
Think insurance would pay? HAHAHAHA!

Terra Tenshi said...

Luckily my doctor doesn't even bother trying to tell me to "take it easy" since the time I slipped a disk and told her flat out that if I stayed on my back for a month I would end up flunking out of college, losing my job, losing my apartment, etc.

I'm convinced most doctors only say it because then you can't sue them when you get sicker from all the running around you need to do.

Bubblewench said...

Well, at least you know what it is. Don't worry about all those chores.. you know if you ignore them, they'll still be there when you feel better. Isn't that just great?