Monday, February 9, 2009

Never a Coincidence

I know you may not believe this, but I am really very mild-natured and even-keeled. My blog is my alter-ego, where I rant and rave and spew venom and get it all out, but truthfully I am pretty, well, normal. And I have learned in my life that drama begets drama. People who choose to constantly live on the edge of chaos invite all sorts of danger into their lives. But I am a weirdness magnet and always have been, so I actually runaway from drama at all costs. I have driven through a tornado, found a dead body and stood face to face with a boy with a gun who had just shot two people in my high school. Drama seeks me out.

So you'll have to excuse me if I say I am more than a little freaked out at the reappearance of the Stalker Congregants, even if they are staying in their car. I'm just at a loss as to how to feel. These people tortured me for almost 2 years. Not only did they torture me, but they do it so subtly as to make ME look like the crazy one. It took me several months for me to convince my own husband that the SC were bad news. I watched them as they interacted with other church members and saw how they manipulated our older members. They offered my daughter gifts and treated her like a granddaughter to gain my favor, all the while telling people that she was "running amok." They would tell Hubby how great I was, but tell people that I was hurting the church. At one point the husband cornered me in the nursery and yelled at me because he couldn't find Hubby and the vehemence with which he yelled at me just shook me to the core. But of course, no one was around to witness it, so no one believed me. Another time I was alone in the church with them and he screamed and swore at his wife, but the clergy counselor whom Hubby was consulting by then said it was definitely a power ploy to intimidate me. These people scare me!

Ultimately they are after Hubby, but he has this ability to just rise above it all and give off the appearance of being unphased by their hijinks. So, according to the clergy counselor, they have targeted me as a means of hitting Hubby where it hurts. Our denomination's highest boss (the CEO so to speak) is aware of this situation and Hubby's former boss took my concerns so seriously that there was talk of moving us immediately when everything came to a head last year just to keep me safe. But we had the upper hand at the time. We had the couple's real names and criminal history. They had been infiltrating churches for years and taking thousands of dollars from churches and congregants, but I was able to do some digging and find out who they really were. So they slunk out of our church, tortured me for a month or two more and left after I got the sheriff involved. I thought I was free.

Until yesterday. I was able to forget about the driveby of a few weeks ago. I just brushed that off to coincidence. But then I remembered, with these people, there are no coincidences. I can't help but feel that they were sitting there in their car, pulled over on the side of the road, waiting until they saw me. Why? Because they still have a few die hard minions in our church. They still hold sway over a few old ladies who believe that when the "inheritance money" comes in, the SC will pay back all the money thay have borrowed AND share the wealth. I'm sure they have been hearing about the instability in our church right now and are just circling the prey. I find it amazing that Hubby's boss and the SC showed up on the same day. That's too coincidental for my taste.

So here I sit, wondering...am I just being dramatic and making a mountain out of a molehill? Am I just worrying myself sick over nothing? Was it just a coincidence? Or is this all starting up again? Am I just being realistic and protecting myself? Am I being stalked again? Do I prepare to fight or do I just try to rise above? It takes a whole lot of energy to stay in crisis mode. Energy that I need for my job, for our limbo state, for so many other things right now. I just wish I knew which way this was going to go. All I know for sure is, this time I will not be quiet. Last time I held my tongue and let the church process run its course. This meant I got my butt kicked. I will NOT take an ass-whooping again. That whole turn the other cheek thing...yeah, it's not happening this time. This time I think I'm going with the eye for an eye thing!

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

I wouldn't trust them. Can you place an anonymous warning in the bulletin to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing? Beware of people you don't know well suddenly being very friendly then asking if they can borrow money until an inheritance comes in - this is a very common fraud visited upon trusting Christians. Can you get a restraining order? Seriously.

Anonymous said...

You could call your sheriff friend and report what happened and see what he says. They wanted you to see them, they made sure you saw them. They may just want to scare you, but who knows? You could also alert E's school to be vigilant. Watch your back and be safe.

/ dw

tamjenic said...

I'm not sure what your husband's boss showing up on the same day as the SC means?

I would explore the possibility of a restraining order.

Certainly your husband needs to be involved in any plan/course of action. I don't think there's much you can do about the congregants who do not see them for what they are. They've been warned. You need to concentrate on you & your family.

FreeDragon said...

Fight, fight, fight! Now you know what they are capable of, so don't wait for the attack because that allows them to gain footing.
And how on earth did you find a dead body?

Bubblewench said...

i wouldn't trust them at all.. keep your eyes open and put them on the back of your head too...