Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making Fun of Hubby

I haven't made fun of Hubby in a while, but I was very good to him on our snow day. Most of you may or may not believe this, but I am a very traditional kind of wife. That does not mean I am a traditional thinker. I am most definitely NOT a traditional thinker, but I do take a certain pleasure in cooking for my Hubby, mainly because that is one simple thing that really makes him feel loved. So before I tell a story about him, just let me share how well he was treated today.

I woke up and cooked blueberry pancakes with REAL blueberries. Sadly they are from Chile, but still, tranportation miles don't count on snow days. I also cooked REAL bacon. We have real bacon maybe...MAYBE...once a year. Then, after playing in the snow, I made his favorite winter comfort food lunch of grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. Not just any tomato soup, but tomato soup made with milk. I really can't stand it that way, but...Finally, for dinner, I made baked sweet potatoes, homemade applesauce and ham steaks. To say he was a happy camper was an understatement. Normally I make him eat spinach salad and roast chicken, occasionally baked eggplant if he's lucky, but today we splurged! (Hmm, I also just realized we eat a lot of pig when we splurge. I guess that's why they call it feast or famine.)

So, I hope you agree, his tummy is too full to notice that I am about to, once again, reveal his gift of hindsight. I was reading Freedragon's post about her troubles with her heater and it reminded me of this story, so thanks for being my muse today.

Anywho, before Hubby decided to be a pastor, Hubby and I bought a house in a very small town (pop, 259). We bought the house for $53,000 but got a special kind of loan that gave us $22,000 to renovate it. And it needed renovation. The house was a catalog house that old-timers still remembered being brought in on the train in pieces. The train stopped running to that town in the early 30's. If you ever watched the sitcom, Roseanne, when they showed her house, there was a house right next door...that was almost exactly like our house. We loved it and poured our hearts, soul and sweat into it. The house had an old plug fuse-box, oil-burning heaters and hand-hewn knotty pine paneling. We did a lot of the renovation work ourselves, but one thing we could not do was take out the oil heaters and install a modern day HVAC unit.

We were very careful in our search for contractors and workers. For the most part we found really good people (although our electrician disappeared halfway through the process and never returned). But a man working for one of the big factories in town was starting a new HVAC business and was having trouble finding clients since he didn't have a reputation. He approached us about doing our HVAC work and giving us a reduced price if he could use us afterwards as references. Our town was very small, but the county was huge and close knit. This man knew all the people would be watching him. If we liked him, he was in. We made the deal and it was a great partnership. He installed the system and the new ductwork and we had an air conditioner, which was good, since it was August in the tropical south.

About this time, my parents were living in Houston and asked me to come home for a weekend visit. I was ready for a break, so I left Hubby to work in the yard with strict instructions not to do anymore housework. He needed a break from it, too. He enjoys yard work and I thought that would be good for him to just spend some time getting our new yard in shape. Silly me.

I was safely in Houston when I got lonely for his voice, so I decided to call home. Only, he didn't answer the phone. Instead I got the answering machine. But the outgoing message on the machine had been changed. Instead of saying "Hi, you have reached..." It said, "If this is Bryan (our HVAC guy), I left a message for you, it seems I have cut the electrical cord to the compressor, could you please come and fix it as soon as possible?" Remember, it was August...30 miles inland...we actually lived in the middle of a swamp. It was hot without AC.

I started to panic. How had Hubby cut the cord? I knew he was okay because I had heard his voice. But had he been hurt? Had he been shocked? I called and called for several hours before I reached him. I was frothing at the mouth by the time I finally found out what had happened. Hubby had been outside with the garden clippers, cutting away at vines and branches. When he came to the A/C unit, which was a good 4 feet tall, he failed to stop and think, "Hey, this thing has to have an electrical cord attaching it to the house." Instead he saw the cord, thought to himself "this is a weird vine," picked up said cord with his clippers and...SNIP...out went the air-conditioning. He's lucky he didn't kill himself cutting an electrical cord with metal clippers. Nice Bryan came by and fixed the cord, thankfully, since Hubby was obviously suffering from heat stroke.

But like I've said, that's why Hubby is well-insured. Oh, by the way, I have a wonderful braised lamb with vegetables already marinating for tomorrow's dinner, Hubby.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

I never buy bacon. We always have bacon. My husband knows where the grocery store is. I should mention that I never cook bacon either but there it is. I won't say I never eat it. I used to be more domestic but I am too busy now except when I get some extra time off.

I know it could happen in theory but to actually think the power cord was a vine? Does he drink when he works outside?

FreeDragon said...

My lawn guy, who has worked for me for two summers and cuts my grass roughly every two to three weeks, cut my phone line. Now I don't have a house phone anymore because I fell out with the phone company (maybe I should post that story and then you would be my muse today) so I wasn't mad, but I was amazed because the line is WHITE!

Sassy Sistah said...

Love, love your blog. You're a terrific writer and most of all - honest. Good for you. We got snow this week too - wonder if we live anywhere near each other? Hang in there with the Church congregation situation. I worked with the Methodist Church headquarters and also with a local Methodist Church for about 10 years - I don't miss it.

~Sandy