Monday, December 22, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For

All Advent season I have been moaning and groaning about everything I have to do and how stressed out I am and how all I really want is to have a quiet Christmas all to myself with just Hubby and E. My in-laws are supposed to be arriving from another southern state tomorrow, but I knew that if I could just make it to next week, my life would become so much easier. For you see, next Wednesday we are supposed to leave for one of the very few perks we get as a clergy couple. We get to spend 5 free days at a condo on an exclusive remote Wild Island if Hubby only agrees to officiate at the Sunday service. That's it. He has to work two hours and we get 5 days in a 2 bedroom condo, two bikes and golf cart plus ferry tickets to the island- FREE! It's heaven! I know we already live by the ocean, but it's different. Our congregants can't get to us!

But this morning Hubby got a call from his mom preparing him for bad news. Hubby's Uncle Junior (yes, he's that Southern) is a diabetic who has had a foot wound that has refused to heal. A few days ago, he was admitted to the hospital for more intense treatment. Today his wound turned deadly and has started to attack his bones. His kidneys shut down completely and his heart is only functioning at 20%. No one is saying MRSA, but since my family has all had MRSA, I really think that is what it is. (Did you know pastors are at a high risk for MRSA since they make so many hospital visits? Hubby has a special nose medicine just to protect him.)

Anywho, now we are in a holding pattern. Hubby's parents may or may not make the drive tomorrow. We may or may not have our family Christmas. We may or may not have our Island vacation. So many ifs. Sorry. I just don't have anything witty or acerbic to say about this and it wouldn't be right to complain. I love my husband too much.

But I do have something of interest. We have someone in our neighborhood who is going through the mailboxes and opening Christmas cards looking for money and such. It has gotten so bad that I called the sheriff and filed a report. Sadly, the sheriff said there wasn't anything he could do, but he suggested I talk to the neighborhood association. Which I did. The VP of the association asked me to tell any neighbors I saw about what was going on so we could all keep an eye out. She asked me if I had any suspicions about who it was and I said no, even though I did. There is a man who lives down the street from us with a golden retriever. He's a nice man and he has lived in the neighborhood longer than we have. I talk to him occasionally and he is always SO friendly. But lately he has changed his dog walking habits. I don't know why that seemed odd to me. After all, he's so NICE.

Hubby and I were heading out for dinner last night and we saw the man walking his dog. He is a neighbor and I had been asked to spread the news, so I told Hubby to pull up to him to talk to him. After all, I was just being silly. He was walking his dog at a different time of day. That was no reason to suspect him of being a thief. Right?

But as Hubby and I are pulling up to him, I am grabbing at Hubby's leg, desperately trying to get him to drive on and keep going, trying to get him not to say anything because damned if that man wasn't opening our other neighbor's mailbox! The man had his hand in the mailbox but closed the door quickly as Hubby, who had failed to comprehend the situation (gift of hindsight thing), started telling him about the mail thief. Hubby and the man exchanged pleasantries, Hubby told the man where we lived and then we drove off with me smacking him across the shoulder going "DIDN'T YOU SEE HIM IN THE MAILBOX?"

We haven't called the police...yet. We're hoping we have scared him, or at the least, he will leave our house alone since he doesn't know if we saw him or not. But my next door neighbor has outdoor cameras (he keeps a lot of work equipment around) and is turning them out onto the street. Hopefully, if he does come around again, we'll get him on tape.

Ah the intrigue at Muddy Waters Lane.

2 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Oh, so many problems there. I hope it all comes together.

Anonymous said...

My MIL had diabetes, not well managed (like she tried to ignore it)

When things went downhill it was sudden and dramatic - congestive heart failure, kidney failure, etc.

It's tough because diabetics lose their ability to heal & are prey to any opportunistic disease.

Hope Junior does ok, hope your family has a good Christmas in spite of everything.

~Tamjenic