Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Making Amends and Growing Up

Growing up my parents had no money, therefore I had no money. None. Nada. Zip. Until I was about 12, my parents floated checks from pay period to pay period and creditors were always calling.

We bought cars for two dollars and they blew up going up the small hills of Ohio.

My mom sewed all my clothes from scraps of the fabric she used to sew her clothes, so we always matched whether I liked it or not.

Eating out occured once every three or four months and I remember eating a lot of rice, because it was cheap.

We had very little, but we had a lot of love. Regardless of what is happening now in my life, I grew up knowing my parents loved me and would do anything for me and be there for me no matter what.

So I was somewhat surprised and hurt when my dad got mad at me for buying a used couch off of Craigslist. I have been watching Craigslist for the past year and keeping my eye out for a quality couch. One finally came along. It was $200.00 and in really good shape. It is so much nicer and better quality than anything we could buy new but all my dad could hear was I was buying it used. In fact he moaned "How do you know someone hasn't died on that couch?" I was shocked and hurt. If anyone understands buying used stuff, he should. Here I thought I was being thrifty and responsible with my money.

E heard me talking to Hubby about my conversation with my dad after it happened and it must have made quite an impression on her, because she held it inside until this past week. She had Monday and Tuesday off from school and I had it off from work but I wanted a little time to myself so I sent her off to spend the night with my parents. My dad brought her back on Tuesday. I was sitting on my front porch with my dad and Elena when out of nowhere my dad apologized for what he said.

Dad: MW, I'm sorry for what I said about the couch. It's a nice couch. I just feel bad that you grew up without anything and I hate to think of E going through the same thing.

E: Grand-dad, I told you, my mom doesn't think she grew up without anything and I don't either. We may not have any money, but we have a LOT of love! And that's all I need!

Have I said lately what an amazing person I think my daughter is?

No comments: