Monday, October 27, 2008

Not the Adult

I..........am..........so.......t...i...r...e...d...!

There is a very nasty, albeit fast moving stomach flu going through my classroom right now. Each day about 4 children are staying home throwing up. Last Wednesday (class picture day) my stomach suddenly started to hurt, my skin turned frighteningly green and I had an overwhelming need to lie prostrate on the floor. I was down for the count. Luckily I have an iron stomach and have only thrown up 5 times in my entire life. I was miserable and sick, but not vomiting like every other person being infected with the malaise. I went home from work two hours early and put Hubby on single parent duty. My fever broke at 3:00 AM that morning and I was back at work by 7:45 AM on very little sleep. I worked my full day and then went back for an Open House until 7:00PM. I was exhausted.

That night we took in a puppy for a couple that went out of town and couldn't kennel her because she hadn't had her full round of shots. Did you know puppies don't let you sleep at night? So here I am, no sleep from the night before and still no sleep (puppy finally went home today.)

In the meantime, my classroom kids are just melting down all over the place because they are either getting sick or getting over being sick. It got so bad and I felt so bad that on Friday at dismissal, my kid-who I am not supposed to label as Asperger's- and my drama queen girl started screaming and crying at each other and I was the last adult left in the vicinity to deal with it. I swear I almost started crying, too. I really didn't want to be the adult.

The weekend was puppylong and I was getting more and more sleep deprived. Remember, no one takes my flu seriously since I don't actually throw up. I was SO looking forward to getting to sleep at 9:00 last night and trying to sleep, even with the puppy. But Hubby came out from putting E to sleep and told me his stomach hurt. Then he started feeling ill. Then the proverbial and literal shit hit the fan. I have been with Hubby over 14 years and I have never seen that man laid low. I have seen him sick, in the hospital, feeling miserable and just downright puny. But I have never seen him as sick as he was last night. But my husband threw up at least 10 times last night, ALL NIGHT LONG! There went my sleep.

So excuse me while I feel sorry for myself, because I am actually so tired that I hurt and I can't breathe and I feel like I am an inch away from a panic attack at any moment. I am hoping against hope that tonight is the night I get to sleep. Hubby is better, puppy is gone. I just hope and pray E makes it through the night without telling me her tummy hurts.

1 comment:

charlitan said...

I hope everyone is feeling better?
Yesterday,. Oakley had to leave swim lessons early becasue 2 kids puked in the pool. NICE!